May 13, 2011
Online stores differ from regular websites on the sense that most shopping carts use a template or the same source code structure for all the product pages in the site. This makes thing a lot easier when optimizing product pages because you only need to edit the source code once to optimize all product pages at once, such as H1 tags and overall content order.
Remember this: “Search Engines rank pages, not sites“.
With this in mind, always make sure to optimize the content of each page starting with your most important products.
On-Page Optimization for online stores can follow these steps:
- Optimize title tags (H1 tags, and H2 tags).
- Add META tags content to META title, META description and META keywords.
- Use only original content to describe each product.
- Add ALT tags and TITLE tags to all your images.
External Optimization can follow these steps:
- Start your link building campaign.
- Open Social Networking accounts and start sharing content.
- Submit your site to relevant, human edited directories.
- Join online communities and forums that share your interests and where potential customers “hang out”.
- Submit a product feed to Google Shopping and comparison sites.
Don’t try to do all this at once, instead, set specific weeks to work on all of this until you get it all done. Following a good routine and good habits while adding new products will keep everything optimized as you go.